Tuesday, July 24, 2007

DAY TWO!

Today has been AWESOME!

This morning the team got up and enjoyed a delightful contintental breakfast at the Heart of Chicago motel and spent a little bit of time reading through I Thessalonians 1 & 2. Each morning we will spend time together reading the Bible and talking through what we're learning. It seems to be a pretty good way to start off the day!

We then headed off to Lathrop Homes, which is a government owned property that houses hundreds of residents. Many of these residents have ended up here becuase of life circumstances and family issues that have put them in a position where they couldn't provide for their family with "regular" housing. We are partnering with Service Connector which is connected to Chicago's human resources department. They have case managers that work with the residents and then connect with us to let us know what needs done and where it needs done.

We split up into three teams and started tackling our list of apartments! Some residents were in need of a little extra help cleaning up their apartment while some needed some extensive cleaning! Students were great at helping the residents feel loved and valued as they were working away! And from what I hear several teams had the opportunity of meeting some cockroaches!

The team that I was with worked with a lady named Carol who has 5 children aged 12-18 and you can tell that they mean the world to her and like most moms she would do anything for her kids. She had a LOT of clutter in her apartment that ranged from shoes to piles of clothes and bikes and more clothes and papers and more clothes. It was difficult for our team to all be in one room because of the lack of space. Loretta, Blake, Whitney, Tailore and Halley got to work helping Carol sort through stuff, deciding what was needing to be tossed and what could be donated to help others. Even though Carol had so little in her life, she still wanted to give what she had to help others! Myself, Cory, Grant and Chris tackled the bathroom and entryway. We cleaned every inch of the bathroom and knew we did a good job when the kids came home and said how they had never, ever seen the window sill that clean. We wrapped up the bathroom and entry way with a fresh coat of paint. The girls later tackled cleaning the kitchen with Carol and then we ended the afternoon with a coat of paint for the kitchen too.

Jeff, Cody, Scott, Austin, Sarah, Nikki, Valerie, Peyton, Kelsey and Becky started the day off doing some extensive cleaning to help out a gentleman who was in danger of losing his apartment if he couldn't get things turned around. They worked extremely hard and got it done before lunch. In the afternoon they tackled another cleaning project in which they also did some painting.

Dave, Hayden, Josh, Tyler, Carole, Kirsten, Kira, Olivia and Gabby tackled some of the lighter cleaning projects and were able to get two completly cleaned before lunch. The residents had intended for help only cleaning one or two rooms, but Carole wouldn't have any of that and they took on a bunch more. In the afternoon they continued on and helped clean up a couple more apartments.

We're off to dinner in a little bit so that's all for now! Jeff will be posting some pictures from today a little bit later on!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo Chicago Team!!! Its so great that you all took time out of your summer to help people learn they matter to God. I REALLY wish I was there with you guys. I can't wait to yall get back and I can hear your stories. Jesus is DEFINATLY happy with you all. I want you all to know you are in my heart and prayers and I hope you guys have a great rest of the week. I remeber how successful MOVE07 was and I know this will be even more successful. I love you guys.

Amanda Milum

Anonymous said...

Oh my you guys! I cannot believe wat a difference you must have made to all those people! You have left a mark not only in their clean places but in their hearts too! I agree with what Mandee said- Jesus is definately proud of all of you! I wish I could be there with you all- making such a gigantic difference and doing soooo much! Have a great week- and I shall keep you all in my prayers!
<3, Sierra Duke
P.S.- I bet you will all be in those people's hearts for the rest of their lives!

Kevin and Barb said...

Chicago Team,
It sounds like you all did a wonderful job at Lathrop homes. I am sure you will all remember for the rest of your lives how you touched the lives of many. Cody we are so very proud of you and respect the decision you have made to touch others through the grace of God. We love and miss you! To the team, keep up the good work and continue to show others that they matter!

Anonymous said...

You are an awesome influence to so many people who probably don't even know where Granger, In is! God is using you to show the love of Jesus and to be His hands and feet. Nothing, even cleaning, done in the name of Christ is done without a huge impact. Your influence makes a impact that will last forever. As the story in the Bible which Mark referenced this week-end the impact you are making will go down in these peoples life as very important. I am really glad all of you have the awesome Oasis leaders to show you have to love ALL people. Thanks leaders for your influence on all our kids, you really matter to them.
Sweet dreams, have a restful night and be ready and eager to see how you can join God in the work He is doing in Chicago!

Kathy Marshall

amberWIRE said...

I love that you helped people at Lathrop Homes! 4 years ago I was there doing the same thing with a group from Granger! Keep loving and serving and showing jesus to everyone you meet! I am so proud of you!

Judy Gregory said...

Cockroaches...cool! From what I understand they grow the size of small puppies here in Atlanta. My goal is to never have one in my apartment. Since I never cook, it probably won't be a problem. They'd starve to death. Those gross stories will grow to be some of your highlights ... honest, they will. Keep making a difference ... becasue you can and you are! Other people really do matter ... big time!

Anonymous said...

You guys ROCK! How many young people would take time out of their summer vacation to help people? Especially to help them clean? I'll bet there are some parents who are still in shock! Good thing there are pictures!
Seriously guys, you are AMAZING, and I am so very, very, VERY proud of you!
Johnny, keep it coming. I'm lovin' it!
"Dr Phil"

Lanette Rajski said...

WOW - You guys are AWESOME. Oh how I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to be in their cleaning and decluttering beside - I LIVE for that stuff!

Tell Loretta that I've been thinking about her and praying for her. Keep being the great, Godly example of a woman that God created you to be and keep loving on those students. You are an incredible and amazing woman and I'm so proud of you friend!

Lanette

Anonymous said...

I cant wait to find out waht you guys did the rest of the week. Im CONSTANTLY checking on this blog. JOHNNY YOU NEED TO UPDATE FASTER!!! I love you guys. You're awesome and keep up the good work.

;)

-An Oasis Student